Preventative Maintenance For Your Air Conditioning
Your HVAC system is just like all other mechanical systems, it needs to be serviced regularly. Doing this will pay off for you!
Filters keep the dirt and dust out of your air conditioning system and allow it to work efficiently. This saves you money on energy bills and gives your home the best possible air quality.
Replacing air conditioning filters frequently, or cleaning reusable filters is very important. We recommend to do this at minimum 4x per year, but encourage you to do more, especially during the high usage season. There is a wide variety of air conditioner filters on the market, but you do get what you pay for.
Some different types of air conditioner filters include:
- Disposable fiberglass filters- These are the most inexpensive, but as mentioned before, you get what you pay for. These are the also quite ineffective and only collect the large dust particles. The smaller particles are going to make it through and back into your home.
- Washable “electrostatic” filters- These filters have a static charge that will attract dust, dirt and other particles as air passes through. They are a bit more effective over disposable, but they are not ideal.
- Pleated “allergy” filters- These filters are made of a dense mesh material, and trap a lot of allergens (including mold and pollen.) These are about more efficient than the two previously mentioned filters.
- Electronic air cleaners- These cleaners have an ionized electrical field that will eliminate almost all mold spores and pollen. They also help get rid of approximately 80% of airborne viruses! They do a great job at getting rid of smaller particles too!
- HEPA furnace filters- These are the most desirable. Hospitals use these, and as we know, clean air is very important in a medical environment.
If you need help choosing a filter, call us at G&L Services today, and we will help you with what’s best for you!
A lot of customers are unsure if a tune-up is necessary for their home. HVAC systems are a HUGE investment, and we want to make sure you do everything to make your heating and air system reliable. Preventative maintenance and an inspection will help to ensure your HVAC system is running as smoothly as possible for the hot Chattanooga summers!
What do we do during an inspection?
- We will check coolant levels
- We check system pressure
- We will help calibrate your thermostat to maximize your comfort and energy efficiency
- We inspect wiring, capacitors, relays and contacts to help prevent expensive repairs
- We check the evaporator coil and the condensation drain
- We clean the condenser
- We check the fan motor and blades and lubricate if necessary
- And much more!
After our inspection is finished, the technician will be able to tell you the state of your HVAC system, and will alert you to any issues that may need attention. It’s much easier to catch something before it becomes an emergency call in the middle of the night on one of our hottest Chattanooga summer days!
Why Do Routine Maintenance?
Routine air conditioner maintenance pays off in many ways. One major benefit is the energy savings! A well maintained system uses significantly less energy than one that is not properly maintained. Also, having regular inspections on your system will allow your technician to catch issues before they turn into costly and untimely repairs.
It’s important to have the maintenance done by a qualified technician to ensure the best results. We are dedicated to providing reliable heating and air conditioning service!
Some simple things you can do between tune-ups to help maintain your HVAC system include:
- Disconnect electricity prior to beginning any work on your HVAC system
- Remove any debris (sticks, leaves, etc.) from around the condensing unit
- Clean the compressor with a hose (don’t forget to turn the electricity off first!)
- Change your filters frequently (more so during high usage times)
- Check for leaks and cracks in hose connections
Air Conditioning Tips
This summer has proven just how hot Chattanooga can be. There are some easy ways to cut down on your energy expenses while still maintaining a comfortable home.
Keep your home from getting hot:
How do you do this, you ask?
- Add landscaping that will shade your home.
- If your roof needs replaced, replace it with a light material to help reflect heat
- Properly insulate your home and if possible, use a radiant barrier
- Ensure all windows and doors are closed
- Close blinds/window treatments on hot days
- Reduce usage of the oven (use stove or microwave)
Consider a programmable thermostat
There’s no need to keep your home chilly when you’re not home. By installing a programmable thermostat and raising the temperature during the day, you will see an improvement on your energy bills!
If your HVAC system needs replaced, use high-efficiency.
Commercial HVAC Service
We know how frustrating an air conditioning/heating issue can be for you and your staff. We will do our best to have you back up and running as quickly as possible. We are available 24/7 to help you get back to business!
Our Commercial Services:
- Replacement of units
- Duct repair and replacement
- Thermostat installation and repair
- Indoor air-quality solutions
- 24/7 emergency service
- Filter changing program
- Free commercial estimates
- Licensed heating and air conditioning professionals with extensive background checks
Call G&L Services today for all of your HVAC needs 423-242-8257